sausage links

Friday, April 8, 2011

hey you kids get off my lawn!



one of my top-five pissymakers is not understanding technology. i feel like an old lady, and i literally hate getting schooled by 14 year olds about Facebook. and my foul mood at this moment can be linked directly to what the hell is the point of Tumblr?

every time i check the stats on my Flickr shots of Eloise, invariably, there are about a zillion (read: 5) Tumblr hits. people posting, reposting, reposting reposting Eloise pictures. while trying to find an answer as to how to get off this nightmare ride, i stumbled upon tinyeye.com. basically, its reverse lookup for your pictures.

long story short, worst idea ever. talk about a time waster, i spent over 2 hours on one picture alone; with blog entries, LiveJournal icons, and other Flickr users all posting it with no credit.

look, i get what i do is not original. you dress your dog up in costumes, you take pictures. my ultimate goal in life is to have Eloise get out there though, and to do that, i need people to know where to come for permission. thats all.

... additionally, i hate it when people post the picture and say she is their dog. and yes, it has happened.

i have met some awesome people through them asking for permission, and i always give it. and i have met some other awesome people when i ask them for credit or photo removal, and they are very nice. but i still dont get Tumblr!

what are other's opinions on this? let me know!

xo,
Bird

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately you & I both know from way way back in the LJ icon days that people LOVE to steal images & not give credit. I am not sure that there is any way to really stop it from happening. Especially nowadays because there's so many newer ways for people to post shit (Tumblr & Flickr & Twitter & all those other ridiculous things).

    It's sad & I hate that it keeps happening to you. I've had it happen to me too but for me, it was my tattoos. Not only have I had people steal my photos of my tattoos & then have them reposted as if they were on someone ELSE but, I've had people full-on steal my ideas & get them done too. It's all just insane if you think about it.

    By the way, Tara Lee was here the other night & we were talking about you & she saw your Eloise calendar hanging in my kitchen & she was dying over it !!! HA !!! SO CUTE !!!!!

    Anyway, I wish I had answers for you or at least, a way for you to feel less stabby about it.

    I love you so much !!! xoxooxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you remember, i am no stranger to tattoo rip off-age either, which means that it has to be happening ALL THE TIME, and that is weird and creepy. again, with the originality thing, its like, while i can see variations on a theme, a straight-up copy of a tattoo is completely SWF. its such a personal thing (as evidenced by the fact that people can agonize for years about getting a tattoo "just right"), that just seeing one, and being like: yeah, thats cool, im going to go with it! is crazy. so yeah, when i take pictures, i do not think its super original, but i would like some sort of credit. like, if you like the picture enough, you could at least credit me or ask me if you can repost it. this is mostly the case with Tumblr, i understand some people just see a picture that has been reposted with no credit on blogs or something so many times that it is impossible to know who took it.

    ... basically, i am saying that Tumblr chaps my ass. so much so that i think, at this point, if someone actually asked if they could post one of the Eloise shots, i would probably say no. what a pisspants!

    i am just not looking forward to watermarking 165+ pictures this weekend. ugggg. besides, it makes the super ugly.

    xoxoxoxoxoxxoxox i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O M G !!! I totally forgot about your furs tattoo being ganked by some toolbag & his now toolbaggy ex-wife! (There's me ASSUMING they divorced but let's face it, they did. Meanwhile, they'll somehow find your blog, read this comment & KNOW I am talking about them & it'll be Scott Crawford all over again all up in this piece).

    I agree, watermarking isn't the ideal option but if you want to keep your Flickr stream public, you need to do SOMETHING to at least keep a lid on the stealing thing.

    Tumblr is fucking retarded. R E T A R D E D. It's like, let's find the EASIEST possible way to not have to communicate at ALL anymore & just repost photos all the damn time & then you can choose to "like" it or not. It's like, oh no no .... 140 characters on Twitter is TOO MUCH TALKING. I need to make it even LESS by taking away ALL characters & just communicate with photos instead so you can fucking guess what is on my mind.

    This is where I'd post a photo of a heaping pile of poo because that's what I think of Tumblr. But since I love you & I don't really want piles of poo in my google image search history, I thought I'd tell you instead.

    Tangent much? HA !!!

    I love you xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i love it when my mail just magically goes to spam!

    yes! there was the Furs tattoo, and also the Damned tattoo! people are crazy. i dont even care anymore, i am such an old lady.

    i am glad you are confused about the Tumblr issue too! exactly with the anti-communication thing! then just DONT POST if you dont want to have actual words. things are getting too scifi for me anymore. and not in a cool way.

    i love you! xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox its been a long time since we have been ranty rant together!

    ReplyDelete